ROOM IN THE INN
...a ministry with those living and working without a home
In those days a decree went out from Emperor Augustus that all the world should be registered. This was the first registration and was taken while Quirinius was governor of Syria. All went to their own towns to be registered.
Joseph also went from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to the city of David called Bethlehem, because he was descended from the house and family of David. He went to be registered with Mary, to whom he was engaged and who was expecting a child. While they were there, the time came for her to deliver her child.
And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in bands of cloth, and laid him in a manger,
because there was no place for them in the inn.
~ Luke 2:1-7
ROOM IN THE INN UPDATE FOR SEASON 2020-2021
We’ve been involved with Room in the Inn since 2012 and are so blessed to be a part of this citywide ministry. However, due to the continued pandemic, Room in the Inn will work very differently, at least for the months of November and December.
Trinity has adapted our ministry to assist Room in the Inn Memphis by preparing and delivering meals on Tuesdays for the months of November and December and transporting guests. We have been assigned the Manna Sanctuary for Women on Greenlaw Street. Highlights of the new plan as follows:
- There will be only three centers for overnight shelter:
Germantown UMC Cottage across from Germantown UMC
Ozaman Center, 1306 Monroe west of Social Security office- Madison & Monroe
Manna House Sanctuary for Women’s house on Greenlaw
- Women and transgender individuals will be given priority as guests
- Guests will be limited to 6-7 per center with the same guests assigned to each center for a week. Each guest will sleep in the same bed every night. This will reduce the need to do laundry every morning.
- Host congregation volunteers for serving the meal and staying overnight will number 3-4 with PPE guidelines in place. Due to Trinity’s volunteer base being in the high- risk category for COVID-19, we are NOT hosting either at our church or at the Manna Sanctuary.
- No clothes closets will be available, at least through November and October.
- Meals: Trinity has been fortunate to have several members as well as other outside groups sign up for meals. The only open date is December 29th. Dinners should be enough to serve 15-20 people, allowing for second helpings. All meals are dropped off at curbside at the center so contact is minimal.
- Breakfast bags are being prepared for each guest by Robin Waters of BUMM. Thanks, Robin!
- Transportation: Trinity is fortunate that Josh McClurkan has volunteered to drive the van every Tuesday evening for guest pickup and Wednesday mornings to return the guests to Carpenters House. Thank you, Josh!
- Trinity is providing the paper plates, napkins, sealed plastic ware, , cups and salad bowls to help defray the costs to Manna Sanctuary.
How can you help? There are expenses to Trinity which will be incurred for breakfast bags contents, all the necessary paper products, purchase of the meal on December 29th, if no one volunteers. etc. To help offset these costs, you can donate to Trinity via PayPal (include a note to specify Room in the Inn) or by mailing a check to the church at 1738 Galloway, Memphis, TN 38112 with Room in the Inn noted on the memo line.
Room in the Inn-Memphis as an organization also has additional expenses due to the pandemic, such as cleaning supplies, masks, gloves, overnight lodging for people who have been discharged from the hospital with no home to go to, as well as families with children. If you would like to contribute to Room in the Inn-Memphis to defray these costs, please go to their website at www.roomintheinn-memphis.org and click on the Donate button.
If you have any questions, please contact Rosemary Potter at (901) 493-6744 or at email@example.com.
As always, thank you for your support of this vital ministry with your hands, your feet, your heart, your time and your gifts!
***THE CLOTHES CLOSET IS CLOSED DURING THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC***
The Room in the Inn Clothes Closet at Trinity boasts a plentiful array of clothes in all sizes. We collect coats and clothing from the congregation, the surrounding neighborhood, businesses, (like Bombas) and other churches who do not have the facilities to host, but feel called to take part in this ministry. You are invited to donate men's and women's: coats, jeans, sweatshirts, hoodies, cold weather gear (boots, long underwear, knit caps, gloves, etc.) and backpacks. At all times, we need NEW men's and women's underwear and NEW T-shirts in all sizes, as well as hygiene items such as travel-sized antiperspirant, Gold Bond powder, and disposable razors. Drop off donations at the church office weekdays between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. (see location and map on CONTACT page).
...the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not covet”; and any other commandment, are summed up in this word, “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore, love is the fulfilling of the law.
***There will be no face-to-face interactions between our membership and guests until the pandemic is past.***
If you would like to learn more about the city-wide Room in the Inn-Memphis program or possibly get your congregation involved, visit the RITI website.